IMD650 "Dragon Protector of the Castle" Painting technique in acrylics.
MAYCO Colors: SS-137 Jet Black, SS-108 Light Gray, SS-7 Country Apple, SS-63 Black Forest, SS-48 Artichoke, SS-254 Golden Ochre, SS-376 Limeburst, SS173 Red, SS-375 Ivory Task, SS-372 Cherokee Tan, SS-198 Chocolate, SS-87 Emperor's Gold, matte spray.
- Step 1: Clean greenware and fire to cone 3. Base coat entire piece Jet Black (SS-137). Wet brush belly of dragon with Country Apple (SS-7). Shade each side of belly using Golden Ochre (SS-254).
- Step 2: Wet brush all bricks and rocks Light Gray (SS-108). Use washes of toast and Chocolate (SS-198) to define these areas and then highlight with Ivory Task (SS-375).
- Step 3: Wet brush dragon Black Forest (SS-63) and then Artichoke (SS-48). Highlight legs and face with Country Apple (SS-7), Golden Ochre (SS-254) and Limeburst (SS-376). Paint tongue Red (SS173)and Ivory Task (SS-375). Shade piece Jet Black (SS-137). Paint toe nails and roof tops Emperor's Gold (SS-87). Spray with matte spray.
IMD650 - Protector of the Castle Technique in porcelain
Go back to random stones and color various rocks with darker colors, right over the PLATINUM. Use colors like, THUNDER, MOUSE, GRAY MIST and FRENCH GREY. With a thin liner brush (script liner series 4585 size), highlight the lines in the bricks and stairs with either EBONY or THUNDER.
Step5: Thin some BLACK DETAIL to a very fluid consistency with water and apply three good coats to the eye in the following fashion: Apply a large oval in the eye for the pupil. Outline the eye with thin lines of black. Five to the appropriate porcelain cone.
Step6: You may leave the piece matte as is. If so, sand with an oval pad abrasive cleaner. For a glazed look, there is no need to sand, simply apply a clear glaze with an airbrush for best results. Fire to cone 2.
Step7: Apply Hanovia "N" gold to the horns and nails. Fire to Cone 019.
- Step1: Cast the mold with porcelain slip. It is recommended that you clean the piece in the leather-hard stage by scraping the seam lines with a cleaning tool and then using the porcelain cleaning brushes and water. If the piece is dry, scrape the seam lines and then use and old piece of panty hose around a sponge to remove the lines. Add back any detail with your cleaning tool. Allow the piece to dry completely.
- Step2: With a very sharp pencil, draw a line between areas of different color. For example, draw lines around the legs and toes. Delineate between the grooves and the dragon's head and between the bricks and stones of the towers. Draw lines along the ridge of this back and between the wing webbing, etc. These pencil lines will burn out but will help keep the oils from running into areas where they are not wanted. If you accidentally get color where you do not want it, quickly scrape that area with your scalpel (not your cleaning tool, it isn't sharp enough). Keep your scalpel on hand when apply the oils.
- Step3: Using the Silver Falcon Onyx series of Taklon brushes, select a number 6 or 4 Cat's tongue and apply the oils in the following fashion. For large areas, use three good coats, for smaller areas, two coats and for very tiny areas, one coat.
- Body: (the bumpy parts): three coats of GREY GREEN.
- Ridge: on top of neck: CELEDON.
- Belly ridges: two good coats HONEY. (Additional option: Go back then with DUNE and highlight the crease next to the body of the beast so as to provide a subtle shadow).
- Wings: DUSTY BROWN (including webbing on back side of wings).
- Circles in wings: SMOKE (Additional option: highlight circles with sandalwood for shadowed effect).
- Head: Eye region and bumps above teeth: BLUE SEA. Top of Head, Lower Jaw, Flesh around small, round horn on side of face: CELERY. Leave teeth white, but carefully do one coat of CELERY above fang tooth, (the gum).
- Beard: SEAFOAM highlighted with GRAY GRENN.
- Tongue: FRENCH GREY.
- All Horns: ECRU.
- Legs: Mixture of FRENCH GREY AND KHAKI.
- Inner leg circles: SMOKE, highlighted with SANDALWOOD.
- Nails: ECRU or left white.
- Main Stones all around: PLATINUM.
- Towers: DRIFTWOOD
- Lumpy rocks on small Tower: GRAY MIST.
- Ledge with windows: THUNDER.
- Roofs: MOUSE.
- Stairs: THUNDER
- Doorways/windows: EBONY.
- IMD650 bisque
- Natural White China Silk Porcelain from The Porcelain Place.
- Spanish Oils from The Porcelain Place; GREY GREEN, CELEDON, HONEY, DUNE DUSTY BROWN, SMOKE, BLUE SEA, CELERY, SEAFOAM,FRENCH GREY, ECRU, KHAKI, SANDALWOOD, PLATINUM, DRIFTWOOD, GRAY MIST, THUNDER, MOUSE, EBONY.
- Detail Colors from The Porcelain Place: BLACK.
- Brushes from Silver Falcon: Onyx Series 4171 sizes 6,4 and 2 and script liner Series 4585 size 0.
- From National Artcraft co: Abrasive Scrubber (308-008-00), Paasche Airbrush (340-901-08), scalpel (262-307-02) and Hanovia "N" gold (332-003-04).
- Porcelain Cleaning Brushes by Seeley.